Nissan Plans Mass Recall in Japan Due to Unauthorized Checks
Oct. 2, 2017—According to a Reuters report, Nissan Motor Co Ltd plans to recall 1.2 million vehicles in Japan, following the discovery that final vehicle inspections weren’t performed by authorized technicians, the company said on Monday. Japan’s second-largest automaker said the recall would cost the equivalent of $222 million to re-inspect cars produced for the domestic market between October 2014 and September 2017.
The list of vehicles that require re-inspections includes top sellers like the Serena minivan and the Note compact hatchback.
Nissan CEO Hiroto Saikawa told reporters at a media conference that the company must take the registration framework and procedures seriously, regardless of how short-staffed the company may be. Saikawa also apologized for any inconvenience caused to customers.
Monday’s news broadens the scope of an issue reported last week, when Nissan initially said it would suspend the registration of 60,000 vehicles over unauthorized inspections. The automaker’s shares fell as much as 5.3 percent to their lowest since April, before closing down 2.7 percent.