Uptown Body & Fender
SHOP: Uptown Body & Fender LOCATION: Oakland, Calif. OWNER: Giovanna Tanzillo and Lisandro Allende
1) A local artist designed a custom statue for the shop. The $4,000 piece of artwork serves as an abstract symbol of the work performed at the facility. It’s called “Metal Man,” which is the term Uptown Body & Fender uses to refer to body technicians.
2) An espresso bar was among the first pieces of equipment purchased for the shop 20 years ago. More than 60 varieties of tea and several specialty coffee beverages are available to customers, as well.
3) Framed posters themed on “positive affirmation” line the walls and shelves of the front office. The positive messages and attitude conveyed throughout the office create a light-hearted atmosphere, which helps comfort customers after the stress of their vehicle accident.
4) Literature focused on metaphysical messages are offered to customers. The books convey positive, philosophical ideas that engage customers on deeper levels compared to stacks of magazines. When customers get hooked on a book, the shop will loan it to them.
5) Several awards received by the shop from local organizations are displayed throughout the office. Most of the awards are based on community involvement, and are displayed to illustrate the positive impact the business has within its neighborhood.