White Tops Axalta’s Global Color Popularity Report
Nov. 19, 2015—Axalta Coating Systems released its Global Automotive 2015 Color Popularity Report on Wednesday, and white held on to the top position.
White has been the most popular color every year since 2011 when it overtook silver.
“Since 1953, Axalta’s color popularity data has been an important tool in partnering with vehicle manufacturers to forecast the designs and color preference that will engage customers in the years to come,” said Nancy Lockhart, Axalta color marketing manager. “For the fifth consecutive year, white is the world’s most popular color. However, we did see some pockets of color when we looked across regions. For instance, red jumped eight percentage points over 2014 in South America, mid-shade blues are significant in Europe, and bright blues gained popularity in North America.”
A few highlights from the report:
- Silver leveled out after declining for four years and remains at 13 percent.
- Blue remained steady over 2014, while other rich colors declined.
- At 11 percent, no region likes red more. Axalta’s 2015 North America Automotive Color of the Year, Radiant Red, reflects this preference.
- Blue increased in popularity to a total of eight percent of sales.
- White is the region’s most popular color; no color in any region is more popular.
- Silver is the second-most popular.
- The continent shows the highest amount of blue at nine percent with much interest in sporty mid-shade blues.
- Holding 21 percent of the market, no region likes black more. Of interest are the luxurious sparkling black shades for intermediate and large cars.
- The region experienced a 10 percent year-over-year drop for gray.
- In China alone, white gained in popularity by 19 percentage points.