March 17, 2020—CCC on Tuesday released the Crash Course 2020 report, which covers the future of personal transportation including AI, ADAS, driverless vehicles, data access, digital consumers and quality repairs.
Key themes covered in CCC's Crash Course 2020 include:
- Personal mobility – Talk of the end of the auto industry as we know it continues, even as automakers produce products of unprecedented diversity in terms of body styles, engine propulsion, safety and comfort features.
- Modern repair capabilities – Today's vehicles are very different than those manufactured even 10 years ago. Vehicle complexity and industry investment in new repair capabilities are having meaningful impacts on repair cycle time and costs.
- Consumer experiences – Rising repair costs, higher total loss frequency and costs, and longer repair times have added pressure to an industry struggling to keep up with consumer demand to turn a disruptive event into an experience that is satisfying.
- Data-driven decisions – Despite advancements in vehicle design, crash worthiness, and crash avoidance technologies, millions of people in the U.S. are injured in accidents each year. Driving and impact data can power advancements in post-collision safety experiences and insurance casualty claims.
- Next wave technology – Nobody can predict the future, but we can prepare for it. Technologies once considered futuristic are now being utilized broadly, creating a new foundation for innovation and differentiation.
According to the Crash Course 2020 report, in 2019, many of the technology and car companies working on the development of autonomous vehicles (AV) acknowledged publicly just how difficult the development of a fully autonomous (Level 5) vehicle truly is.
Today it’s estimated that the companies developing autonomous vehicle technology have developed 80 percent of needed technology to put self-driving vehicles into routine use; but the remaining 20 percent (referred to as ‘corner cases’) that could reliably anticipate what other drivers, pedestrians and cyclists are going to do is much more difficult.
And, the report shows that trip data tells the industry why crashes occur. On-board telematics devices capture information — such as speed, hard braking, cornering — and other behaviors that numerous studies show correlate to higher accident rates.