AAA: Top winter driving tips
Dec. 2, 2010—More car accidents involving property damage happen in the winter than any other season, according to AAA.
So here are the company’s top tips for safe driving in snow and ice:
• Remove snow from the entire car so it doesn’t melt down onto the windshield or fly into another car’s windshield.
• Allow for extra travel time.
• Watch for ice on bridges and intersections (even when the other roads seem fine).
• To free your stuck car, straighten the wheel, accelerate slowly and place sand under the wheels.
• Look further ahead in traffic to allow for extra reaction time.
• Don’t use cruise control in precipitation.
• Apply constant pressure to the pedal with anti-lock brakes.
For more information and tips, go to aaa.com.