7 tips to getting repairs done right the first time
September 10, 2010—Consumers’ Checkbook has updated its auto repair shops ratings table and has provided their top seven ways to ensure repairs are done right the first time. Their tips are:
1. Write down a detailed description of the car's symptoms and give it to the shop.
2. Talk directly to the repair technician who will be working on the car.
3. Get a written estimate in advance or write on the repair ticket that no work is to be done without approval of a written estimate.
4. Get a written, dated invoice detailing parts and labor and the vehicle's odometer reading.
5. Pay by credit card.
6. Tell the shop in writing immediately if the car is still not right after the repair.
7. Remember that there is no relationship between the prices shops charge and the quality of their work.
For the ratings table, go to checkbook.org.