NAIC Names 2013 Committee Leadership
Jan. 29, 2012—The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) has announced the chairs and vice chairs appointed to lead its 2013 committees.
The NAIC met earlier this month and made committee appointments based on each individual’s preferences and experience, as well as requirements established by the organization. The 2013 NAIC committee leadership assignments are as follows:
- Property and Casualty Insurance Committee: Mike Chaney, commissioner of the Mississippi Insurance Department, will serve as chair. Merle Scheiber, director of the South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation Division of Insurance, will serve as vice chair.
- Market Regulation and Consumer Affairs Committee: Sharon Clark, commissioner of the Kentucky Department of Insurance will serve as chair. Stephen Robertson, commissioner of the Indiana Department of Insurance, will serve as vice chair.
- Financial Regulation Standards and Accreditation Committee: Eleanor Kitzman, commissioner of the Texas Department of Insurance, will serve as chair. Thomas Leonardi, commissioner of the Connecticut Insurance Department, will serve as vice chair.
- International Insurance Relations Committee: Thomas Leonardi, commissioner of the Connecticut Insurance Department, will serve as chair. William White, commissioner of the District of Columbia Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking, will serve as vice chair.
- Financial Condition Committee: Joseph Torti III, superintendent of the Rhode Island Department of Business Regulation, will serve as chair. Eleanor Kitzman, commissioner of the Texas Department of Insurance, will serve as vice chair.
- Life Insurance and Annuities Committee: Julie Mix McPeak, commissioner of the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance, will serve as chair. Ralph Hudgens, commissioner of the Georgia Office of Insurance, will serve as vice chair.
- Health Insurance and Managed Care Committee: Sandy Praeger, commissioner of the Kansas Insurance Department, will serve as chair. Ted Nickel, commissioner of the Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance, will serve as vice chair.
"This year’s committee leadership brings invaluable expertise and insight that will be critical to advancing issues important to our regulatory framework," said Jim Donelon, president of the NAIC and Louisiana Insurance Commissioner. "Our greatest assets are the deep bench of the membership and the commitment to working together to enhance the national system of state-based regulation. This year's leadership team represents one of the NAIC’s strongest yet."
The NAIC is the U.S. insurance standard setting and regulatory support organization governed by chief insurance regulators from all 50 U.S. states, the District of Columbia and five U.S. territories. Through the NAIC, state insurance regulators establish standards and best practices, conduct peer reviews and coordinate regulatory oversight. NAIC members form the national system of state-based insurance regulation in the U.S.