Exploding Kona EV Prompts Hyundai Canada Investigation
July 30, 2019—Hyundai Canada is launching a probe to uncover what happened after a Kona EV allegedly caught fire and exploded in a garage.
The explosion allegedly launched the garage door off and sent it flying across the street. The vehicle's owner had just bought the Hyundai Kona in March.
The owner says the car was not charging at the time. Electric cars are powered, of course, by lithium batteries and some can overheat in extreme temperatures, according to the report by CBC.