3M Releases New Paint Finishing System
Oct. 17, 2013—3M announced Thursday that it has released a new paint finishing system, 3M Perfect-It 1 Paint Finishing System, designed to eliminate the need for compounding and deliver a one-step, high-gloss finish.
“We want to make the paint finishing process easier and more efficient for paint professionals with the highest-quality products and technology,” said Mike Conway, marketing manager for the vehicle appearance markets in the 3M automotive aftermarket division.
The system replaces compounds and polishers with a 3M Trizact abrasive disc and DA sander to reduce the work while creating glossier finishes, cleaner jobs and reduces rework and comebacks, as well as lessens the time needed to use a heavy polisher, the company said in a statement.
The 3M Perfect-It 1 paint finishing method includes the following steps:
- Defect removal with the 3M Hookit Purple Finishing Film P1500 disc
- Scratch refinement with the 3M Trizact P3000 Foam Disc
- DA polishing with 3M Trizact 5000 Foam Disc
- Finishing with 3M Perfect-It 1 Finishing Material and Finishing Pad
- If needed for black or dark finishes, swirl elimination with the 3M Perfect-It Ultrafine Machine Polish and Pad