Study Examines Top Causes of Workplace Injuries
April 12, 2019—The annual Liberty Mutual Workplace Safety Index recently documented the top 10 causes of the most serious workplace injuries – those causing an employee to miss five or more days of work, reported Insurance Journal. The report ranks the injuries by their direct cost to employers, which consists of medical and lost-wage payments.
According to the 2019 Liberty Mutual index, the 10 most costly causes of workplace injuries and illnesses are:
- overexertion involving outside sources
- falls on same level
- struck by object or equipment
- falls to lower level
- other exertions or bodily reactions
- roadway incidents involving motorized vehicles
- slip or trip without falling
- caught in or compressed by equipment or objects
- repetitive motions involving microtasks
- struck against object or equipment
James Merendino, general manager, Risk Control, National Insurance, Liberty Mutual, said the index helps employers understand the root causes of the most serious workplace injuries they face.