AAA expects more than 1.4 million stranded motorists during holidays
Dec. 17, 2010—AAA projects that it will be helping more than 1.4 million stranded drivers during the holiday season, according to a AAA press release_notes.
From Dec. 18 to Jan. 2 AAA expects to see:
• 500,000 car troubles resulting in a tow;
• 320,000 dead car batteries;
• 200,000 keys locked inside cars;
• 175,000 flat tires.
The best ways to avoid these incidents are:
• Use antifreeze;
• Check tire pressure frequently;
• Check for corrosion on car batteries;
• Check belts and hoses for fractures.
"Whether on your way to grandma's house or the mall for last-minute shopping, car trouble can quickly dampen your holiday spirit," said Marshall L. Doney, AAA Automotive vice president. "AAA expects to come to the rescue of more than 1.4 million stranded motorists around the Christmas and New Year's holidays, but many of those breakdowns can be avoided with a touch of preventive maintenance."
For roadside assistance, call 800-AAA-HELP or use the AAA Roadside app.