SkillsUSA Auto Refinishing Winners Announced
July 2, 2014—SkillsUSA Championship Automotive Refinishing winners were announced June 27, after five days of hands-on competition in Kansas City, Mo.
Winners from both the high school and college levels demonstrated their skills outlined by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) and the National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF).
Each were assessed on their skill in surface preparation; spray gun operation; paint mixing, matching and applying; solving paint application problems; determining finish defects; causes and cures; and safety. Participants also completed an interview, a written estimate, and a written exam.
The winners of the collision repair contest are listed below.
- Gold: Dustin Benner of Vanguard-Sentinel CTC-Sentinel Campus in Tiffin, Ohio
- Silver: Cory Petit of Washburn Tech in Topeka, Kan.
- Bronze: Joseph Epperson of Pittsylvania Career & Technology Center in Chatham, Virg.
- Gold: Gavin Johnson of Utah Valley University in Orem, Utah
- Silver: Tyler Cauble of Hutchinson Career & Technical Academy in Hutchinson, Kan.
Bronze: Elise Groenewold of Dakota County Tech College in Rosemount, Minn.